Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Finding Fullness...

I always write the best blogs after my classes with Colin. I look up to him. He inspires me, and he’s hilarious! Being a student of his, I always work harder and concentrate more. I know he would probably, actually I know he would definitely disagree with this as it’s not about trying to impress someone...it should be about making sure I’m getting all there is out of my practice.

Amanda and I went together last night. She’s an amazing girl I met through my yoga training. We have become close, along with my other friend Steph. The three of us have a lot in common...not just the same English golden retriever.

Colin always begins his classes with a quote, story or intention. This is my favourite part as it always includes a funny story, which usually I’ve heard before from our yoga training. They never get old. He has a way of making things make sense; relating yoga to our everyday life, actions, and thoughts. Last night he spoke about fullness. How can we find fullness in everyday experiences?

I’m not the type of person to walk around thinking the world and my life is awesome! I’ve been through a lot and sometimes think....”seriously?!?...why me?!?” I think everyone does at some point or another. However, I do consider myself a strong woman as I have gone through things that forced me to be this way. It’s not something you’re born with; I believe it’s something that’s created over time, with all life experiences.

Since I’ve started this journey I have looked at life, my decisions and experiences a little differently. At times it’s hard. I am stubborn, aggressive and quarrelsome...it’s the aries! Sometimes I do overreact. Hareesh has taught me that there’s no such thing as an overreaction. It’s MY reaction because something in the past has caused me to be upset, and a “samskara” (scar) has been initiated....that’s a whole other blog though...
So, when I’m fully aware and present in the moment of being upset, angry, confused or sad, any emotion really, I’ll try to find fullness within that circumstance. Take Colin’s story for example. It’s -30 one night, and you’re driving on the highway. You get a flat tire. Instead of swearing and kicking your car because we all know we’ve been there done that...but really, did we ever stop to think what good that will do us? Sure you might release “something” but will it really facilitate something? Instead, try to find fullness in the moment. How can you make something negative into something positive? Maybe this was supposed to happen? Maybe you’ll miss that accident that might have involved you down the road? Maybe that person who comes to help you might be the man or woman of your dreams, and now you’re having dinner next week. Again...this is Colin’s example, but I do see, and agree with where he’s coming from.

My past experiences have proven to me that everything happens for a reason. If I didn’t go through the tough times I went though, I wouldn’t be the strong, successful, MORE FLEXIBLE woman I am today! I’m thankful for those experiences, as they taught me a lot. Not just about life, but myself.
It’s NYE and one of my resolutions for 2010 is to TRY and examine every circumstance I’m in. Step back for a moment (it’s ok to take a minute and think...) and look at the situation as a whole. Will this decision bring fullness? Am I benefiting from this decision I make? How can I make the outcome more optimistic and encouraging?

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year! May the mind, body and spirit within you bless you all with lots of love, prosperity and good health.

Cheers to 2010 and another chance for us to get it right!!

XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment