Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Static muscles?...I don't think so!

I was in my yoga studio last night doing my own practice. I love when I’m given the time to come to my mat...just me. I was so excited all day, and had been looking forward to doing some much needed postures.

As I was in some of the poses I tend to talk it out in my head, thinking about how I would teach it. I like to work on my skills as a teacher. I feel I use to talk a LOT during a posture, and now I give them some specifics, geography of limps, and muscles, but ultimately let them find their own way. I do make sure I keep a close eye on what’s happening with everyone’s bodies and assist when and where it’s needed.
I tend to get very focused during my practice and realized how in tune I actually am with my body compared to just a year ago. I always remember this one specific time during teacher training where we were working on Dandasana, or staff pose. I remember the woman I was working with telling me to root my femurs into the floor and hinge forward at the hips. She asked me to push my thighs into the ground and feel my hamstrings lengthen underneath me and draw the inner groins toward the sacrum.

WHAT?!?!?

I remember thinking to myself…how do you do that, and more so, how does one feel that inside their body. I think I told her I felt it when in actual fact I was SO confused.

Yesterday, sitting in Dandasana I was able to “GO” to all my body parts that needed to adjust and actually move them one by one. If you were watching me you probably wouldn’t have even noticed that so many things were going on inside me. Lengthening, moving, spiraling, rooting, supporting.
It was pretty amazing to observe, and the sensations of being able to mentally and physically go to those separate muscles, ligaments and bones and move them into position made me VERY thankful for how far I’ve come and how much I’ve learned.

On another happier note: I am able to do Eka Pada Rajakapotasana completely on my right side. My hips are a lot more open and my ankle is feeling a lot less tight. It only took 2 months of hard work, positive thinking, and lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment