Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Monday, October 4, 2010

"Kali in the house"

Lately I’ve been really thinking about the last year. Mostly about the fact that it’s ONLY been a year since I moved back home and my life was transformed. Have all of these changes really only happened in a year?! Time really does move fast. I can’t believe how much has happened, how far I’ve become, everything I’ve accomplished, and EVERYTHING that’s changed! Although saying that, there are a few things that haven’t changed over the year as well.

Over this past weekend my parents moved out of the house I grew up in. 27 years of memories, parties, fights, laughter, love, happiness, sadness, holidays, family and friends. I stayed with them over the weekend, and slept in my “bedroom” for the very last time, and I left this morning saying goodbye to the best house ever. My mom reminded me that it’s not WHERE you live that makes “home” it’s who you’re with. I wish I had learned this about 2 years earlier. Then again I guess I DID have a lesson to learn, and everything really does happen for a reason.

Why are so many of us scared of change? Sometimes even repelling it so much we dig our heels into the ground and refuse to have it any other way. We suffer through each day of things not being what we think they “should” be. How do we get through it? Whether is be positive or negative, how can we make the transitions easier for ourselves?

I think we first have to take away the control, the fear, and the belief that it’s a negative thing. Change can be wonderful and very beneficial.
I was reminded of the goddess Kali by my roommate/Yogini Lindsey. “Kali is considered the goddess of time and change.” “Kali in the house!” is how Linds actually put it, which just made me smile, and really appreciate how great things really are. As ones spiritual devotee, Kali can be summoned to assist others appreciate the natural phases of birth and death.
Kali acts as a guide to help those in need to remember that change is required because from endings come new beginnings.

If change wasn’t a part of my life, I wouldn’t have experienced the love, the happiness, and even the heartbreaking sadness. Without ALL of these, I wouldn’t be where I am today, accomplished, proud, knowledgeable and successful!
The universe will never give you more than you can handle, so welcome change with open arms, no need to fear when something is taken away from you, or leaves your life, it just means that there’s more room for something more incredible to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment