Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Flowing with Grace

We started with a discussion about assets and perils. How can we benefit from something, and what are the risks of the decisions we make. Is what I’m doing making me happy? Am I missing out on something more? Will I regret this decision in the future? Or will this be the best decision I’ve ever made?
We talked about this in relation to practicing yoga. When we're getting into a pose, what are the assets and perils of this pose? Do we push it to the extreme so we can "GET" the pose flawlessly, or do we do only go as far as what we can do for that day? Everyone's different, and everyone will have a different set of asset and perils, so every situation…and posture.

Once we started our class we worked a LOT of shoulder integration and expansion. Starting in down dog, moving our shoulders up, down our back and inwards, keeping it there coming into plank, cobra/up dog, and then back into down dog. You wouldn't believe HOW much of a difference it makes when your shoulders are integrated. It's a lot harder (because I’m not use to it) but so much more beneficial. This is the perfect example of what I meant by assets and perils. The perils being that I couldn’t move my back and shoulders for two days, but WOW what a feeling!
We talked about the different between integration and expansion, and what they both have to offer. When we're in a pose and we're not integrated or expanding like we're suppose to, depending on the pose, there’s a chance we could loose the possibility of what the pose has to offer.

We discussed some of the things mentioned in our textbook chapters we were supposed to read. We discussed the focal points in our bodies. Where were some of the focal points in some of the poses we do?

Downward dog=heart
Standing= pelvis
Side Plank= could be heart or pelvis
Handstand=Heart
Headstand=Head
During our next practice, we should always be aware of what our focal point is

Colin spoke about “Mula Bunda” aka root lock. The first of three interior body “locks” used in anasura practice to control the flow of energy. This increases the stability of the pelvis, and, since the pelvis is the seat of the spine, its stability creates a safe environment for spinal movement. Thus, mula bandha strengthens—and teaches the importance of—the solid foundation that should underlie any movement.

At the end of our practice we met with out groups and quickly went over how many times we went to yoga that week and if it matched our goals that we had set for ourselves.
We spoke about our Hindu God Ganesha. This is what found out...I’m so happy that we got this Hindu God. I think it works perfectly along with our journey.

Ganesha: He is the Lord of success and destroyer of evils and obstacles. He is also worshipped as the god of education, knowledge, wisdom and wealth. In fact, Ganesha is one of the five prime Hindu deities (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Durga being the other four) whose idolatry is glorified as the panchayatana puja. The elephant head denotes wisdom and its trunk represents Om, the sound symbol of cosmic reality. Ganesha is also the destroyer of vanity, selfishness and pride. He is the personification of material universe in all its various magnificent manifestations.

I’ve already developed my first Anasura practice. I need to work through it, make sure it flows, and is well balanced. I look forward to practicing with some of my friends, developing my skills as student so I can work towards my goals of becoming a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment