Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

30 DAYS OF BLISS... #2

Today was hard since my body was feeling the effects of yesterday’s practice; especially my deltoids, a direct result of the chaturangas. Although I was tired and sore, I went and got through it…I mean this IS only day two. Again, late morning class and there were 30 people in it! Very impressive and GREAT energy! Today’s class made me miss my Hatha flows. While a Hatha practice I feel elongates my muscles with every posture because of the flow through different variations for each pose, Moksha uses more of your breath to hold the posture and really engage the muscle. After standing series all I wanted to do was a wide legged forward bend. Another noticeable attribute of the Moksha series is during my favorite pose Eka Pada Rajakapotasana or Pigeon pose. In a Hatha practice we keep the toes curled under of the foot that’s stretched out behind you for stability and protection. In Moksha the top of the foot is on the floor and the foot is stagnant. While in the pose as much as I know I’m supposed to be concentrating on my own body, I had to look around and Yup! I was the ONLY one with my toes curled under. I’m not saying Moksha is wrong for teaching it this way and I did give it a chance, but I personally know the benefits of the ways I was taught and will continue to curl the toes under as that feels best for me. One of the fantastic things I love about a Moksha practice as opposed to a Hatha practice in the mini Savasana’s after standing series (laying on your back and closing your eyes aka Corpse pose). These are exactly what I need to catch my breath, tune in and get myself and my abs ready for the crazy amounts of planks and dolphin planks we do each class class. Tomorrow will be my first 90 mins 6am class before work…This I feel will be the most challenging. #1 Getting out of a warm bed and #2 trying to stretch muscles first thing in the morning can be complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment