Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Daydreaming

Yoga Dork, a much-loved blog of mine recently posted an article asking “Are you happy? Don’t worry; Be Present new study says”

One of the lines written was “Does daydreaming make you happier?”As it turns out, no! It does not.

HUH!?!? It doesn’t? Well what kind of daydreaming are you doin? I guess this does have some truth behind it if you’re dreaming about negative stuff; however then I don’t put that into the class of “daydreaming” To me, daydreaming always had this positive, dreamy, wishful thinking state to it. Thinking about loved ones, your crush, what you’re going to do on the weekend, friends, pets, in general; things that make YOU happy.

“A daydream is a visionary fantasy, especially one of happy, pleasant thoughts, hopes or ambitions, imagined as coming to pass, and experienced while awake.”
I don’t think I have ever “daydreamed” about negative thoughts -“Unlike other animals, human beings spend a lot of time thinking about what is not going on around them, contemplating events that happened in the past, might happen in the future, or will never happen at all,” and if I did, I wouldn’t classify them as “daydreams” more like annoying thoughts that I cancel from my intellect right away.
I DO agree with the statement how being present can make you happier as long as that present state isn’t filled with annoying thoughts. At that point, I personally would take the time to daydream, think about the goal’s I have achieved and ones I have yet to, how I’m gonna make them happen, along with a million other things that make me happy.

I say be present, AND day dream!

“Everything starts as someone’s daydream” Larry Niven.

Thanks to http://www.yogadork.com/ for making me think ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment