Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Monday, March 5, 2012

Music & Yoga

If you’re like me and music is LIFE then you’ll appreciate this blog.

I always get asked if I play music during class what type of music I select. This has been something I’ve thought about since I started teaching yoga. DO I play music? Do I not play music? Personally, when I’m taking a class and my teacher/mentor played music it was nice and relaxing. I remember when my favorite most inspiring yoga teacher, Kinndli played music; it was something VERY upbeat with bass (Telepopmusik - Breathe) that made me want to jump outta my pose and start dancing. Although fun, it didn’t help keep me present. However, being a student and not a trained teacher at the time might have made a difference.

"If music doesn't serve the principles of focus and concentration, it shouldn't be used,"

Personally, music takes me away. I get lost in the lyrics, melody and my own thoughts. Every song and lyric for me is somehow connected to a memory in my life as I have music playing during EVERYTHING I do so it’s hard NOT to be absent. Having said that, it’s also relaxing and I feel I’m at a place in my practice where I can stay focused on my body AND get lost in the music at the same time. Keep in mind, that this is something that has taken quite some time for ME to master.
When I’m teaching I tend to play very relaxing meditative music that helps with the flows and balance. This can also sometimes hinder someone’s performance and awareness as they get SO relaxed they forget their strength and focus.
On the contrary, music can also have the opposite effect on one’s mind and actually aid in the concentration process and take their minds off the surrounding woes of everyday life.

During my own flows and home practices with just me, myself and I, I play music that comforts ME. Kendrick Lamar, Coldplay, Pharcyde, Common and Adele…

This really all comes down to experience and practice. Since everyone is different, every yoga class and student will be different. If you’re a teacher, give it a try and if you’re a student, be mindful of what music does to you on different days. Take all of it into consideration and use it a guide to further your learning and training.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. hi devon,

    great post!

    i found you because we both took pics of our tiny devotions mala beads on instagram :-)

    anyway-- i totally agree with you that sometimes music with lyrics works during yoga practice and other times it doesn't.
    if i am already comfortable with whatever asana i'm doing, it can be invigorating and push me further into the zone. if not, lyrics distract me and i lose my focus.

    being a singer/music artist myself, the second i hear it, there i go towards it :-) i love music during my yoga practice in general. electronic music, like thievery corporation, mellow goldfrapp tunes or morcheeba always jives with me.

    namaste :-)
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have joined Yoga Teacher Training In India It is a good platform to me start the yogic journey where i'll learn the basic. get the benefits of yoga, it’s a way to achieve physical and mental fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga has become an important part of our day-to-day lives. There are many phases that a yoga practitioner has to pass before earning the certification. Prior to the handed over of the certificate to the practitioner, he/she is adjudged on varied parameters. There are many yoga learners who wish to attain certification but the complexity in the exercises makes them revisit their thought and determination.
    Yoga Teacher Training India

    ReplyDelete