Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Private Lessons

I was approached the other day by a woman who wanted private lessons for yoga. 2x a week was her ideal. She was very eager and wanted to start immediately. When I asked her if she had practiced before, she said no. I told her I would do a free private lesson with her so she could see if this was really what she wanted and consequentially needed.

WHY take a private lesson?

• Too busy to make it to a yoga class
• Nervous to be in a class with others
• Need individual attention and/or support
• Recovering from an injury/accident
• You’ve never taken a yoga class before

Benefits of a private lesson:

Private yoga sessions offer the ability to work one-on-one with a knowledgeable and certified yoga teacher who can devise a practice that is modified to you and help you attain your goals.

In addition to that, a one on one private session can offer motivation & support both physically and emotionally; as a result helping you push through when you are engaged in difficult poses and/or challenging plateaus.

As a yoga teacher I usually plan ahead and have an idea of what I’d like to teach and concentrate on for that day. Sometimes these things change when I see my room full of students as well. As a trained yoga teacher I’m thankful I’m able to adjust my flow accordingly.
When working one on one you have to drop the plan and really just tune into what that specific student is asking for and needs.

I start my private lessons like a detailed interview. Asking questions about the students past history, emotionally and physically and I find out if the client has had any past or previous injuries or operations.

As a student you need to be honest and open with your yoga teacher and tell them exactly WHY you’ve chosen to do yoga and specifically why the need for a private lesson. This is all about YOU and YOUR needs so really take advantage of having all that specific attention and make sure you get exactly what you need. Also make sure you’re being challenged as it’s important we’re always moving forward.

Having a private session with a yoga teacher offers the student individual guided attention aimed specifically for them. A safe place for them to grow and feel secure about themselves. I look at yoga as a tool for transformation.
Whether I'm talking to someone about a posture, muscles or movements; I'm always thinking about how yoga can assist in transforming that person's life in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment