Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Knowing your audience

I’ve been lucky enough to teach many classes in the last year. Not only have I taught lots of classes and lots of people. I’ve entwined lots of different styles and taught many different levels of students as well. There’s obviously a big difference between teaching a room full of novice yogis and teaching a room where most of your students are also teachers. Usually this would be a little intimidating at first as you think you may be judged on your flow, your voice, even your LuLu Lemon attire?

I find teaching both of these classes very helpful and the best way to utilize my skills. When I’m teaching my classes at my studio it’s usually filled with new students, non flexible body builders and people who have never even heard of yoga. I usually plan ahead and know what type of flow I will be doing, what I’m going to value and any specific parts of the body and or muscular system I’ll be focusing on. This can all change the moment I’m ready to teach and I look around my room and all the eager and sometimes terrified faces. One of the many things I am grateful I learned is my ability to change up my flow and postures in an instant due to skill level, class size, mood, requests, injuries etc...

When put in these situations I tend to talk more. I give directions for specific angles, foundation and movement. I feel I can get the class to focus MORE on their body rather than looking at the front of the room trying to duplicate what my body has done.
I’ve taught classes filled with teachers of all levels and found I have to say very little as they are so in tune they already know what I’m going to do and/or say. Considering they’re already so conscious, they know what they should be focusing on.
I am appreciative of BOTH these circumstances as one helps me use my ability to develop my “language of yoga”-being Sanskrit, anatomy, physiology, and values. While the other lets me simply shut up while the student concentrates on breathing and tunes inward.

No comments:

Post a Comment